Fondation ZMB  

Summer 2017

We are pleased to present the 6th FZMB Newsletter

Message from the Foundation

We trust that all our partners and students had a wonderful summer and are ready for a new academic year. We wish all of our new students an excellent year. Thanks go to all our scholars and partners for their role in creating a world-class Foundation and programme. Good luck for the year ahead!

- Dr. Paula Murphy Ives, Foundation Director

International Scholarship Programme

So far, Fondation Zdenek et Michaela Bakala has helped more than 30 students in Switzerland to pursue a first-class education abroad by providing them with the financial support they need. Thirteen new students will be able to attain their dream education this year and study at famous universities such as MIT, Cambridge University, University of Oxford, Duke University, George Washington University and Dartmouth College, further pushing the boundaries in fields such as law, economics, IT, engineering, physics, social policy and many more. We would like to take this opportunity to congratulate all of them!

Introducing our 2017-18 students
(for a full profile, click on the name or photo)

Luca Barloggio
MIT

Luca comes from EPFL in Lausanne and will be spending six months at MIT studying Materials Science. Possible applications of his studies of materials include optical neuromorphic computing - a technology inspired by the human brain’s architecture - and functioning, thin film solar cells and sensors for precision agriculture, the latter being his principal field of investigation

Luca Barloggio

Winta Beyene

Winta Beyene
Tuck School of Business

Winta comes from the University of St. Gallen and will be studying for an MBA at the Tuck School of Business in Dartmouth – the alma mater of our founder, Zdenek Bakala. She says that her interest in studying financial regulation was sparked by the fact that the financial system is very sensitive to single events while financial markets simultaneously influence - if not control - essential aspects of everyone’s lives.

Caroline Duret
Cambridge University

Caroline is a law student at the University of Geneva and will be spending six months at Cambridge University. Since 2015 she’s been working on her doctoral thesis under the guidance of Prof. Bénédict Winiger. The aim of her research is to analyze a juridical concept, the right cause of property transfer from Roman law to modern Swiss and French law.

Caroline Duret

Hannah Eggimann

Hannah Eggimann
University of Oxford

Hannah will be completing a PhD degree at the University of Oxford in Condensed Matter Physics. In her research, she is focusing on photonic properties of organic molecular semiconductors, mainly of novel materials for solar cell applications. Her project is situated at the interface of physics and chemistry and is carried out in close collaboration with research groups from both fields.

Fadhel El May
MIT

As part of his Masters at EPFL, Fadhel will be studying Bioengineering at MIT in Boston. Being hearing impaired himself, Fadhel’s aim is to develop better hearing implants using optogenetics. The idea behind the project is to use light instead of electricity. Light can be as precise as a laser beam and therefore he wants to confirm the hypothesis that hearing with light will give much better outcomes.

Fadhel El May

Elvis Gomes

Elvis Gomes
University of Oxford

Elvis Gomes will be completing a PhD in the UK. During his year spent at the University of Montana, he became fascinated by critical theory and its application to everyday situations, which shaped his interest in sociolinguistics and critical discourse analysis. Following his participation in Switzerland’s Got Talent in 2015, he started a music project called “#OCDletmego” aimed at raising awareness about obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Sophie Hall
University of Oxford

Sophie is embarking on a second degree at the University of Oxford with support from the Foundation. She focuses on European social policy and inequality in society, with a particular emphasis on gender equality. Next to her studies, Sophie is also currently Chair of the Governing Body of the European Youth Parliament.

Sophie Hall

Mike Jiang

Mike Jiang
MIT

Mike Jiang comes from ETH Zurich where he studies Electrical Engineering and Information Technology. He will be at MIT in Boston at the Media Lab. He specializes in the field of virtual and mixed reality. He has contributed to "EVE: A framework for Experiments in Virtual Environments," which will appear in Springer’s LNAI volume Spatial Cognition X this autumn.

Olivia Kuenzli
Duke University

Olivia will spend her exchange semester at Duke University’s renowned Fuqua School of Business. She has worked as a geotechnical engineer in Lausanne and subsequently she contributed to the establishment of long-term infrastructure investment plans aimed at improving Swiss railway transportation for both passengers and freight.

Olivia Kuenzli

Corinne Knoepfel

Corinne Knoepfel
Duke University

Corinne Knoepfel is embarking on an exchange at Duke University She is very much interested in the study of human behavior and decision-making, which guides her through her education and has led her to focus on microeconomics as well as econometric methods.

Jan Kurzeja
McGill University

As part of his studies at the University of St. Gallen, Jan will be spending a semester in the MBA program at McGill in Montreal starting in September. He studied his bachelor’s degree in Prague where his interest in finance was spurred. During his undergraduate studies, Jan worked as an analyst at Erste Corporate Finance.

Jan Kurzeja

Turdor Mihai Milailescu

Mihai Tudor Mihailescu
George Washington University

During his studies, Turdor discovered his passion for political communication and learned to channel it into delivering a substantial academic and professional contribution. His interests took shape in a thesis project that focuses on how the dynamics of the speechwriting process inside the White House shape the U.S. President’s public rhetoric. Turdor will now enlarge his experience as a visiting scholar in the School of Media and Public Affairs at George Washington University.

Caspar Pfrunder
University of Oxford

Caspar graduated from the University of Zurich with a Bachelor’s in history and law and he will now deepen his historical studies in a Master’s program at the University of Oxford. His research focuses on the 19th Century and a major phenomenon of modernity: the rise of the nation state. He is deeply convinced that research into the past may help to sharpen the grasp of current problems while also supporting informed citizenship.

Caspar Pfunder

Anas Sareen

Anas Sareen
University of Oxford

Anas Sareen is commencing the second year of his PhD at the University of Oxford. He’s been working on his DPhil dissertation in English literature – “Latent Leviathans: Contemporary Fictions of Political Sovereignty" examining the latest concepts of political sovereignty in novels by Margaret Atwood, J.M. Coetzee and George Orwell.

Thanks to the Conservatoire de L’Ouest Vaudois for the wonderful jazz quartet and to the Maison des Fondation for the venue. Special thanks to the Jury and to all the students who attended the event.  Put next year’s event on your calendar – the date you need is Monday May 7, 2018.

…some news from the Class of 2016 Scholarship Graduates…

Pierre Dubuis – Yale University, International Economics

Yale’s economics programme is one of the best in the world. Thanks to the Fondation Zdenek et Michaela Bakala, I had the privilege of attending classes taught by world-leading economists working at the cutting edge of research. Thanks to my experience at Yale, I am going to join the traineeship programme of the European Central Bank. I am extremely motivated for this new challenge and look forward to putting my best efforts into working for a stronger European economy. I am infinitely grateful to the Foundation for their support during my academic exchange at Yale University. I would not have been able to live this incredible experience without their generosity.

Yale Old Campus   Beinecke Rare Books and Manuscript Library

Mateja Andric – Master of Banking and Finance, University of St. Gallen

I completed an exchange semester at the Fuqua School of Business (FSB). It was an incredibly enriching experience and accordingly there were plenty of highlights. Gaining the opportunity to meet and talk to Prof. Breeden was a great honor and certainly one of the academic highlights of this semester. In October 2017, I will start a two-year graduate advisory program with PwC in Zurich. As part of this program I will work in different departments and industries, both in Switzerland as well as abroad. In terms of further education, I wish to obtain the CFA within the coming years and additionally plan to complete a PhD in the longer term.

Mateja with the exchange students

Fuqua School of Business

Alex Sorton – Duke University LL.M and Business Law

Being enrolled in the LL.M and Business Law at Duke University has offered great insight into the values and history of the United States, deepening my understanding of the vision of the Founding Fathers and the importance of the Great Industrialists, of their sometimes opposing ideals, and how these individuals intentionally or unintentionally shaped the laws of modern-day America. I learnt to think and write like an American law student, both in form and in substance.  I am currently studying towards the New York Bar Exam which will be held at the end of July 2017, and I aim to work in the general field of International Business Law, whilst actively participating in Genevese social and political life. Thank you once again for having helped me accomplish my objectives, it truly would not have been possible without your support. I hope one day to be able to pass it on to the next generation of young scholars.

Bakala Roundtable – Cambridge University

In March 2017, 20 current scholars, alumni and partners met at Cambridge University, UK and participated in an afternoon Roundtable with short presentations of research and discussion.  Afterwards, students enjoyed a concert at King’s College Chapel with the full choir and Cambridge University Orchestra.  All US-based current scholars and alumni are welcome to join the 2nd Bakala Roundtable which is to be held at Harvard Law School on 7 October, 2017.

King's College Chapel

Meeting our students, alumni and friends

SAVE THE DATE! 2017-18 Bakala Brainstorm and other events:

List of planned or confirmed events for 2017-18:

• Saturday 7 October 2017 13:30-17:00, Bakala Brainstorm US at Harvard University followed by wine and cheese reception
    * special invite to all Czech and Swiss Bakala scholars in the US to present current research or questions (5-7 mins plus Q&A for feedback) as well as prospective candidates, partners and friends of FZMB/BF. Pls RSVP for a presentation slot.
    * FZMB can reimburse train, bus or gas costs incurred within the US with proof of receipt.
  • January 13 or 14 2018 16:00-19:00, FZMB Après Ski Alumni and Partner Event in Verbier (tbc)
  • Saturday 17 March 2018 15:00-17:00, Bakala Brainstorm UK - Oxford University for Students, Alumni and Partners at Magdalen College, Oxford, then St. Patrick’s Day pub visit
  • Monday 7 May 2018 18:30-20.30, 2017-18 FZMB Scholarship Event, Alumni and Partners Event, Maison des Fondations, Geneva (confirmed)
  • Saturday October 27 2018 13:00-17:00, Bakala Brainstorm US for Students, Alumni and Partners at Dartmouth College, Tuck School, followed by Homecoming Cocktail reception (tbc)

All BF/FZMB Scholars and Alumni as well as partners and guests invited to kindly RSVP to all events at info@fondation-zmb.ch at earliest convenience. Your feedback will determine event dates and planning going forward.

2018 – 2019 scholarships

Each year Fondation Zdenek et Michaela Bakala supports talented students from participating Swiss universities to help them reach their full potential by providing the financial support they need to pursue a first-class education abroad. If you would like to continue your studies at one of the most renowned universities of the US or UK, do not hesitate to apply for the next year of the program.
Application periods start from January 2018 – more information is to be found on the website http://www.fondation-zmb.ch/ and on the websites of participating universities.

Follow us on Facebook

Follow on FacebookFollow on Twitter

Paula Murphy Ives
Foundation Manager
Fondation Zdenek et Michaela Bakala

© Fondation Zdenek et Michaela Bakala